Free things to do in Melbourne for families
Travel can take it out of you – and your wallet, too – especially when you’re travelling with the kids. So we’ve put together some great ideas for your visit to Melbourne, and they’re all for free. Spend money on the things you love instead, and enjoy the best that Melbourne has to offer without the credit card fatigue.
Free Events For Families
It’s not just the one-off events that can keep your wallet looking healthy – Melbourne has a bevy of free activities to try all year round. When you’re travelling with kids it all adds up, so keep it lean with these great ideas.
- See the Melbourne Town Hall from the inside with their free tours from Monday to Friday every week.
- Head out on a free walking tour of Melbourne every day from 11am-1.30pm and take in all the sights.
- Look for the free city loop tram, which circles the CBD in a vintage carriage complete with commentary.
- On Sundays, head down to the water at Docklands for the weekly Sunday market.
- Head to NGV International, as well as NGV Australia (behind Fed Square) to check out their extensive free collections.
- See Ned Kelly’s original armour at the State Library of Victoria – and don’t forget to take a peek at the historic reading room.
- Stroll around the Royal Botanic Gardens on a free walking tour, departing every day at 10.30am, and also 1pm in winter.
Escape with Crowne Plaza!
Book direct and save with Crowne Plaza Melbourne.
FIND OUT MORE